Sunday, October 26, 2008

Love Thyself, before thy neighbour

Here I am! Now what are your other two wishes?

This is usually what I think when I meet you. But don't worry, its not because I know you are lusting after me, it is because I have become increasingly narcissistic. And it is not a disorder. I mean look at it objectively; I’d love to be my friend if I were not me. I’d love to talk to me if I were somebody else. So, just because I am me, why should I resort to hypocrisy? I personally feel, everyone ought to be in love with oneself. I mean, seriously, if you don’t like yourself, who would?

It is not that I consider myself superior or inferior to anyone, it’s just that I like me. I like me on the whole, and this is the way I feel about most things in life. We should remember that everything is relative. What we should do is that instead of having a dynamic frame of reference in the form of other people, our frame of reference should be our own standards. The constancy of it, itself changing with change in ourselves.

I feel so strongly about it because I am constantly criticized or appraised for my opinions, but, rarely are they shared. And this made me think about the fact that, we shouldn’t really bother with other peoples convictions, and have the guts to make our own.

Narcissism is usually thought of as something sinful. its always,love others, live for others, why? why do we have to omit ourselves from our services. "I", why is the word so hated? Would the existence of anything matter if we were to lose ourselves?

Without delving further into this topic, because self-love cannot be preached, i'd like to come back to where i began. I love myself, just like you.


p.s.:- The text intends no offence to you, in case you are offended, better introspect. Have a nice life.

3 comments:

  1. ????????




    who is lusting after u????





    tumhara blog samjhna mushkil hi nahi namumkin hai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shubham, thanks for bothering to comment.
    as for ur question:
    1. that sentence is not literal
    2. its is an exaggerated expression of frustration, whose root i am sure you are aware of.
    3. its ok, i do not expect easy comprehensibility of my thoughts anyways.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't want to think that loving oneself is bad. It is inherent human nature. One cannot love anyone else more than himself or herself. I'll give you an example...A person and his lover is drowning in a river. No matter how much each of them love each other, they will not be able to save the other person before saving themselves. I do not know if this is narcissism for this word is always used in a negative sense. Can any person who vouches to be an altruist save the other person? However I believe excessive self-love is not good either. We need to love ourselves but not to the extent of becoming a megalomaniac. It should be a mix of self-love and altruism.

    ReplyDelete