Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Diwali and Me, 2008

Diwali and Me, 2008

Happy Diwali to all of you!! I’ll be wearing a sari today and that is the highlight this year for me. Last year, Diwali was important because I had gotten a new haircut and a kurta from Biba, and the year before the highlight was the fact that I was making a rangoli. Bursting crackers has long since lost topmost position in my celebrations, although I’d like to clarify that I didn’t go much beyond phuljhadi, chakri, anaar, saanp, rang mashal and taar. Phew, I am shocked I know so many names…. :) Also, it’s been years since I wrote a nibandh/essay on Diwali. It used to be one of those nice, baby essays where I’d use long unpronounceable Hindi words and get the highest in class :)

Anyways, nowadays, Diwali means a very happy and busy day at home. I quite enjoy decorating our home, and later, myself. The day involves receiving messages/calls from kin and kind; I usually send them a day in advance to avoid the Diwali jammed networks! Also, messages aren’t free on holidays (Hey! At least I am honest :P).

So, coming back to where I started, I’ll be wearing a sari today. A traditional Bengali sari in silk, called Laar Paar Sada Sari, like the one in the song Dola Re. I had decided this almost a year ago, come on, I don’t get to wear a sari everyday :). Although my mom is not too excited about it, the reason being that dressing me up is quite an ordeal. I always feel, perfection cannot be improved :P. Actually, coming back to earth, wearing a sari is tough. And making me wear one, will be Mission almost Impossible. Almost because, I will not give up. A beautiful sari, a long photo session and lots of smugness await me :D.

Actually, I am really excited now, dressing up is quite an intoxicating affair, so I’ll update you later with the events of today and the success of Mission almost Impossible. Also, it’s 10:53 am and I haven’t taken a bath yet, much to my mom’s disapproval. So I’ll come back later. Hope you all have a very happy and safe Diwali or, lets say a Huha Diwali, I learnt this just now. :)

p.s.:-

1. Stay under the prescribed decibel level.

2. Try bursting only crackers. Atom bombs, nuclear bombs and the works are not for Diwali. They are not for any occasion actually. :P

3. Call me, do not wait for me to call you. ( meant for only those people with whom I speak on the phone)

4. If by any chance you happen to see me in my sari, do not hesitate to compliment me. I understand, such beauty is truly rare, and deserves its credit.

5. Have fun, take care. Have an awesome Diwali and a very prosperous new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment